Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 8, 2010

You can really tell that autumn has arrived in the garden! We're seeing all of the late season insects (generally you can read this as a ton of grasshoppers!), and what non-grasshopper insects we do see are generally few and far between. However, determination and a dogged persistence still manages to yield some nice results!

This honeybee was having a very rough time for some reason when I came across her in the grass. She was struggling to gain air and finally gave up and simply rested on a handy blade of grass and actually stayed pretty still for this nice portrait before finally recovering her senses and taking flight.


A few moments of digging in one of the mulch beds revealed this lovely blonde spider of unknown species. The coloration (and location) had me leaning towards guessing that she might be an agrarian sac spider (C. inclusum).

This little example of a paperwasp (Polistes aurifer) was busy checking out drippings from an apple tree that is just above an electrical panel within the garden. We managed to get several quite close shots while the wasp enjoyed the sweet diversion.

One of the most prevalent little critters for the late season macro photographer are these (relatively) large silky ants (Formica subsericea). Hopefully, I am not confusing these with carpenter ants (Camponotus pennsylvanicus). To me their butts look pretty smooth and without the fuzzy hair of carpenters.

A very nice shot of a classic seven-spotted lady beetle (C. septempuntata).






This wonderfly colored and spotted beetle immediately caught my eye while I was searching through the foilage for possible photo subjects. My best guess on this one is (and feel free to help me correct this) spotted cucumber beetle (Diabrotica undecimpuntata howardi), which is a mouthful!

I am wondering if this fellow might not be a differential grasshopper (Melanoplus differentialis). I can tell you that he was very interested in munching on the flowers and not terribly concerned with the proximity of my camera lens (much to my delight).

If you remember my earlier post of the rather aggressive and posturing sweat bee, I almost hate to admit that this might be the same poor young lady based upon her rather less than friendly greeting upon my approach. Can you say "restraining order?" As far as specifics, my guess on this (based upon the yellow and black coloration in the back) would be agapostemon sweat bee (Agapostemon virescens).

No comments:

Post a Comment