Monday, May 23, 2011

May 22, 2011

If you live in Colorado, you may have noticed that we are apparently enjoying Seattle-like weather these days. Long periods of rain with brief bouts of hail, followed by more rain. As a result of this quite wet spring is the grand influx of dandelions in my back yard. Not only do I have wonderful patches of bright cheerful yellow flowers, along with the very busy bee population, but I have the perfect subjects on which to try out new macro lenses! Thus, while generally we try to really focus on the more buggy aspects of Colorado nature, today I thought I would take a short break and celebrate the marvelous symmetry of that often over-look and frequently (and perhaps unjustly) cursed visitor to everyone's lawn.


I absolutely love how getting in close to nature often reveals some pretty incredible and rather nifty details. Such as the cool little barbs on dandelion seed heads. Not only are they quite cleverly designed to catch the slightest breeze, but the also have a handy backup plan in the form of catchy little arrow-like sticky ends.


I have always been fascinated by the structure of flowers, especially now that I have the macro equipment that allows me to really get in close and see the inner harmony of seed and petal, stem and leaf!

When you get in really, really close, I think that dandelion seed heads have an almost bucky ball appearance. One can just imagine building a series of tiny geodesic domes!


No comments:

Post a Comment